Sunday, December 20, 2009

Licensed

So, I can now "officially" drive in Utah. You may ask, "Paige, haven't you already been living in Utah for over five years?" Yes, that is true.

While I was still a student, I figured that my Canadian license was just fine (since it is still good until 2011.) I felt a little guilty when I got married, and I even took the dreaded trip down to the DMV right after our wedding. That is where they told me that since I had a "foreign" driver's license, that I couldn't just transfer my license like everybody else. Instead, I had to take a written test, road test, the works. Well, that made me mad and so for the past two years, I have ignored it. However, legally I probably needed to get a license. It also made things hard because my Canadian license still said, "Peterson." A part of my stubborness I guess.

Well, now that I am officially working, I figured it was time to bite the bullet and get my Utah license. This is how the process went...

(1) Trip #1 to the DMV: wait in line for 45 minutes. Take the "written" test, which was ridiculously easy. 100%. Whew--Passed that. I was shocked though. The "test administrator" was giving out answers to other people, one lady was talking on her cell phone, and the guy next to me was eating a sandwich. And we wonder why Utah is a terrible place to drive?

(2) The road test: So, you know all those silly things that you learn when you are 16 in driver's ed, but never actually use? That is normally fine. Until you have to take another driver's test. I honestly felt 16 again. I was all nervous. Luckily, I passed. I lost points because I forgot to set the e-brake on my hill parking (one of those things I have not done since driver's ed), and I didn't "head check" on my u-turn. -5 total. But I passed.

(3) Trip #2 to the DMV: wait in line another 25 minutes, picture taken, print off temporary license, and I'm done.

Overall, it was NOT a pleasant experience. But, I'm glad to know that at 23 I can still pass a road test. I have new empathy for all the 16-year-olds out there, and a new understanding of why Utah is a scary place to drive.

3 comments:

my name is becky kelly said...

haha, glad to know you're legal!:)
Shanan and I both had to re-take the written test a few years back and we BOTH FAILED! ("but becky, isn't your husband a Police Officer?" you ask? i know, i know, sad...) then we went back in a week or so later after reading the manuel, and I scored 1 point higher than Shanan. :)

the best part? they offer the written test in spanish! here's how i feel about it...
IF YOU CAN'T READ THE SIGNS THAT ARE POSTED IN ENGLISH IT SHOULDN'T BE LEGAL FOR YOU TO BE DRIVING A FREAKIN' CAR IN THIS COUNTRY!

there it is, it's all out on the table.
*cousin becky*

The Foote Family said...

Boo on the DMV. Yay for you for passing your tests. :)

Tyler said...

I HATE the DMV! I had the medical part of my Utah CDL expire, which I was told made my Commercial licence transfer to a normal, noncommercial licence. Not so much, it made my entire licence get revoked, so I went to transfer my licence to Nevada they said I couldn't legally drive. (After nearly 4 hours of waiting and talking to everyone supervisor in the building) So it turns out I had to do the written and drive test again.
Well I have to drive to work everyday, so I went the next day to take the test, and passed the written with no problems (didn't study, take that Becky!) and then waited in line to take the drive test. I was on standby and just had to wait, 4 hours later it didn't look like I would make it that day so I left. Back the next morning at 6:00 AM (DMV opens at 8:00) and I was 10th in line. At about 1:30 I get to do my drive test and I didn't pass (take that me) because - I lost 5 points for not keeping at least one hand on the wheel at a stop light ( I took my hands off to pop my knuckles, seriously 3 seconds max) and didn't pass by 1 point (I went out of my line on a left turn because the guy next to me started crowding, apparently I should have slowed down in the intersection and waited for him to pass so I could stay in my lane) So then I got to come back again. Again, there at 6:00 AM and again like 10th in line - again early to mid afternoon I get to take the drive test again, and I passed, woohoo, the worst 3 days of my life. I think I spent something like 17 hours at the DMV that week. I seriously hate the DMV and I am not happy with the guy that told me not to worry about the medical for my CDL expiring either!