Sunday, January 5, 2014

Christmas Day and More

Christmas Day is so much more fun with kids. I realized on Christmas morning, that I didn't ask for, think about, or care about anything I was getting for Christmas. I was just excited to see the magic in my girls eyes. And, they were spoiled....
Here is the look on Aubrey's face when she ran up the stairs and saw the tree and all the presents. I could barely keep up. Both my girls were up by 6 am (I wish this was just Christmas excitement, but that is normal), but we had to keep them downstairs and entertained for about an hour until Zach woke up. Aubrey had time for her excitement to build.


 Between two birthdays and Christmas, these girls do not need any more toys! I have been secretly donating their old toys, and seem to have managed to keep things under control. January is cleaning out the house month. I'm on a roll (or rampage if you ask Steven.)

The rest of Christmas day was perfect. Playing with toys, sledding (so fun), naps, going out for Chinese Food, and then visiting my grandparents house with my extended family. 

We then spent the few days after Christmas continuing to have one of the best trips to Canada ever. Very successful Boxing Day shopping trip, hot tubbing, swimming at the Leisure Center, visits with old friends. It was all great.

Until the last two days when ALL ten(yes every single person) got really sick. That was miserable. The kids were coughing and gross. I spent all day in bed with a high fever and chills. Super yucky. 

The last day was the worst. Steven and I were both so sick, and just barely managed to throw our stuff into our bags for the plane ride home. We flew home on New Year's Eve and were supposed to have a quick, direct flight and be home by 4 pm. Ha!

Our plane was delayed 5 hours. We spent plenty of time entertaining the girls in the airport, all the food I packed ran out, Cora SCREAMED bloody murder for the first half hour of the flight, etc. I do not have a good history flying with kids :)

We finally arrived home at 9 pm on New Years Eve. We had a classy New Year's dinner of McDonalds (only place open), and sickly managed to get the girls to bed. Happy New Year! At least Steven thought ahead and ordered sparkling cider with Google Shopping Express. 

We are now feeling better and back in the swing of things, but those few days were rough. It was almost a fitting end to 2013 because 2013 was such a hard year for our family health-wise. Here's to a healthier new year! I love getting organized, setting goals, and cleaning up life after the craziness of the holidays.

3 comments:

The Dave Foote Family said...

it is great that you were able to spend Christmas in Canada with your family. Sounds like it was all great except for the sickness and the flight home.

Katie said...

I hear you on the cleaning out! We got home on the 1st, late at night. I was at the container store on the 3rd and then at ikea the next day. We spent Saturday cleaning and organizing our garage and our living room. Happy New Year!

LOCKHARTS said...

Just caught up on your blog! Love your family and sad that we missed seeing each other! Can't believe how big our kids/babies are getting. One day we will have to have a reunion again...with all the kids when we are done with diapers and whining (does that ever end)??? Good luck in the new year! No more colds/flus, you've done your time!