Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Life does not have to be perfect

to be wonderful....
This is the quote that hangs in the parents lounge in the NICU. I have been spending a lot of time there and I am learning more and more the sweetness and truth to this statement.

Our little girl is doing pretty good. She is completely healthy, her lungs are great, and she is maintaining her body temperature on her own. Her remaining obstacle is learning how to eat and gain weight. Her digestive system was not completely developed when she was born, and so she is having a few setbacks and not tolerating all of her feedings. She will still be just fine but I think we might still have a few weeks ahead of us in the NICU before she can come home.

Having a baby in the NICU is completely emotionally and physically exhausting. But Aubrey is honestly so amazing, and Steven and I are both in awe at how much we love her. She has a sweet disposition and rarely cries, even as much as she has been poked and prodded.




Christmas this year was special and very different. We spent most of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in the hospital. Aubrey got her first Christmas ornament and the NICU staff brought in Santa Claus to take pictures with all the babies.

I just want to also thank everybody for all of their support and help. We have had so much help with moving, and cleaning, and getting everything else sorted out during this crazy time. I'm sorry that I haven't responded to many people yet, but I'm working on it and I appreciate all the support we have been given. 

Steven left yesterday to go to San Jose to move into our new apartment there and start his job. Life really is crazy right now. I miss him a ton, but I'm enjoying the sweet moments we have here, while definitely looking forward to when we can be together as a family again. 

2 comments:

matt and steph said...

Wow Paige you are amazing! My dad has been in ICU for the past 2 weeks and it has been emotionally draining... I can't imagine hard it is to be a parent of a little girl in the ICU! We wish you the best now that Steven is gone- you are one strong woman!

Sam and Lacey said...

WOW, she is so cute. It is so hard. You are so strong. Hang in there. I can't believe that you have to do it alone. Please let me know if I can do anything.