Monday, June 15, 2009

Camp Mia Shalom



This past weekend, I was able to attend our Stake Girls Camp at Camp Mia Shalom. The camp is located above 10,000 feet and the weather was cold, but I had a great time. Saying that I am not the best camper is most definitely a big understatement. I get cold easily, I have a really hard time being dirty, and I am a light sleeper. However, every time I do venture out and go camping, I always love the experience (I'm now saying this after a hot shower...).

While driving there, Cherine and I made our way pretty well with the maps we had, but we took a wrong turn at the very end. I somehow found myself driving up a VERY steep dirt road with cliff drop-offs on either side and no railings. After a while of driving and deciding that there was no way a bus would make it up this, we realized we were not on the right road and it took a good 9-point-turn to turn the car around. So right off the bat, camp was an exciting experience.

When we arrived, I was honestly shocked at how cold it was. I spent most of the time with 3 pairs of socks, two pairs of pants, a long-sleeved shirt, three sweatshirts, a coat, gloves(with hand warmers inside), and a hood. The sun did manage to shine for a few moments and I was able to peel off a layer or two before quickly bundling up again.

The girls had great attitudes and I loved being able to get to know them and the wonderful ladies that I serve with better. I have great memories of my own girls camp experiences, and I was thrilled to be able to again participate in the singing, the skits, the food, the bonding, the testimonies, and the fun :)

Cherine and I at the campfire. I tried not to look too cold, but I failed. I brought my camera, but never took any of my own pictures, so the photos are courtesy of Shannon and Cherine's blogs. Thanks guys!

The beautiful temple that all the wards helped build that they lit up every night.

All of our amazing ward leaders.

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Thanks for coming up. It was so fun to have you there!

Cherine said...

haha I LOVE IT!!! We had a blast. Except for almost falling off a cliff!