Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Little Miracles

Ever since Aubrey has been born, life has been a huge blur and it has been filled with some long, tough days. However, all along the way, there have been little miracles that have been definite answers to prayers.

Since my water broke and I went into labor so fast, they didn't give her any steroid shots or anything for her lungs, yet she came out breathing on her own, which was a miracle at only 34 weeks. She never had any medications or infections or anything too serious.

The day that I was discharged from the hospital, Steven and I drove back to Wallsburg at midnight, and when I got up at 6, the power in the house had gone off. When my uncle came to fix the problem, he found that there was a fire in the electrical box and the whole house could have burned down.

There have been so many other little blessings and miracles along the way that have strengthened my testimony and the importance of having faith. Another little miracle that I am SO happy about is that Aubrey does not have to come home on oxygen, and unless something goes wrong today, she is coming home..... TOMORROW!!!!

The doctors had told me that she would have to come home on oxygen, but they had to do an oxygen saturation study to document the need. For 12 hours, she had to do all her feedings, have a bath, and spend 90 minutes in her car seat to test how her oxygen levels responded. I told myself, "Ok, just get through this. We know she will be on oxygen, but then she at least can come home."

She had been struggling up until the day that they did the study and then she just turned a corner and her oxygen has been great ever since. She has been eating like a champ and gaining weight. She passed her 12 hour feeding test, and her first 24 hour feeding test. She is on her last 24 hour feeding test today, and should be discharged tomorrow. So... I have basically been living at the hospital since Sunday. Even though Steven has been gone and that is hard, my mom has been with me the entire time and I am lucky to have her.

Aubrey will have spent 3 weeks and 3 days in the NICU. She was born at 4 lbs 9 oz. She dropped down to 4 lbs 2 oz, and will be discharged at 5 lbs 9 oz. We are so grateful she is growing and coming home. This has been her "home" since she was born......


However, I think we are all ready for her to leave and really come home. I can't wait.

5 comments:

Brice and Fallon said...

PAIGE -
So weird. I dreamed about you and Aubrey last night and you were able to come home. And I was literally about to text you and ask how you were doing and I saw a blog update and I am SO SO excited for you!!!!!
YYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

That is incredible news! I'm so excited for you and to see lots more pictures of darling Aubrey! I'm so glad we know the power of prayer!

Shannon said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy for all of you! Wlecome home, Aubrey!

Heather Curtis said...

How wonderful! That is so amazing and she is so tiny and so perfect! I can already see that you are an awesome mom and it will be so nice when you can get your family all back together and start your new life with the three of you. Oh yeah, and hooray for moms! That is so great that your mom has been with you through all of this! My mom has always been my lifesaver too when it comes to having babies. They are the best. And now we get to pass that down to our kids.

J Fox said...

I'm so happy for you Paige, I can't imagine what the last three weeks must of been like, not only with having your baby in the hospital, but all the other changes you have going on. You are a trooper! Good luck with everything, I'll be thinking about you!