Saturday, January 8, 2011

A New Look


I thought that it was about time to do an update on Aubrey. She is doing well and at least in my opinion, is as adorable as ever. She is still in the NICU but we are getting closer to the much anticipated day that we can bring her home.

The main thing that has been keeping her in the NICU for so long is that she has needed to learn to eat and gain weight. For a couple of weeks she was just so sleepy and didn't have the energy to eat on her own. When she was born, her lungs were mature enough that she didn't need any help breathing and her oxygen levels were doing great, so the doctors took her off everything and she was breathing on her own. However, as she started eating the doctors realized that while she has great oxygen levels when she is just resting or sleeping, her levels drop when she eats and that is why she has struggled.

Now that we know that is the problem, she is on oxygen and doing GREAT. So great that I think she will be able to come home pretty soon. However, it also means that she will most likely be coming home on oxygen. I was honestly really upset when I first learned this, but I've come to terms with it now.

The whole time she has been in the hospital, I have just been telling myself that I can handle the 12-hour hospital days, rude nurses, and hardly getting to hold my own daughter because as soon as she was out of the NICU, it would all just be a memory. And now, it is looking like it will be a while before this is all a memory.

The doctors said that when they send a baby home on oxygen it is for between 1 and 3 months. I am also worried because I don't know what this will mean as far as being able to go to California and switching insurance. But, I am so grateful that she is now thriving and growing.

Here is the little girl sporting her new look with her oxygen:
Despite the setbacks and struggles, long-term she will be just fine, and I know that one day this really will all be in the past. Whenever I get frustrated or upset, all I have to do is look at that face and I realize that I would do this all over again in a second. We sure love her.
 

7 comments:

Brice and Fallon said...

Paige
She is so darling. I cant wait to meet her. You are so strong to go through this with her, but I am so glad that her wearing oxygen for a few weeks/months is all she has to do. And I am so glad they figured out why she was having a hard time eating.
Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you before you leave for California!
Miss you
Fal

LOCKHARTS said...

Hang in there Paige! She is a beautiful little girl. A friend of mine delievered at 24 weeks. Her baby was on oxygen for a year. It was hard, but it's over now and her little girl is as cute as ever.

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

I want to give you a hug so badly Paige! She is definitely the cutest little oxogen tube baby I have ever seen! I know that everything must be sort of hard to deal with at times, but I think you're so strong and positive! I wish I could help somehow, but if you ever need someone to talk to if you're bored, call me! I'd love to chat!

HolliJo said...

Aw hang in there Paige! It'll all work out. Just think, this is way better than working tax season... :) She is adorable and like you said, totally worth it!

The Dave Foote Family said...

We pray for you guys many times every day and are so grateful that Aubrey will hopefully get to go home soon. That would be so great if she is home by the time Steven gets there this weekend. :) She already looks so much bigger than when we were there and even cuter. We love your little family so much. Keep hanging in there and staying strong. Give that sweet little one a kiss from her grandma. :)

The Dave Foote Family said...

and grandpa too. :)

Tüpbebek said...

soo good page..