Friday, August 30, 2013

The Accident

The past few days have been very long and very exhausting. I'm sure that Steven's side of the story is more interesting, but this is my blog.

Tuesday was a rough day and I was counting down the minutes for him to come home, when I got the phone call that every wife is terrified to receive. Steven had been hit by a car while riding home and was being transported by ambulance to the hospital.

I was pretty shaken up and called my friend who was driving home from work. She came over immediately to watch the girls and I drove to the hospital. I spent a long time just waiting in the emergency room and I was definitely freaking out. 


When I was finally able to see Steven, things were better. I could see that he was ok. He had quite a few scrapes, bruises, and was obviously in a lot of pain, but he was still my Steven. And since he miraculously didn't hit his head, I just felt so relived and blessed because I know that his injuries could have been much worse. His leg was in a lot of pain and after a lot of x-rays it was confirmed that he had fractured his tibia and would have to be admitted to the hospital.


The hospital stay was pretty horrible, but long story summed up in a few words: manually set the bone in place (Steven said this was the worst pain he has ever been in), made Steven fast and prep for surgery, then no surgery, dirty, nurses ignoring him, sharing a room with a screaming mental patient who was admitted for attempted suicide, etc. Needless to say, we will NEVER be returning to that hospital again.


But.... he is home now! The hospital sent him home with a full-leg splint and on Tuesday our doctors will make the decision of whether or not the bone can heal with just a cast or if surgery will be required. So, we are waiting. 


During all of this, the girls and I have just been surviving. Normally, I am very spoiled. Steven has a job with great hours and he is a very hands-on dad. Now.... I'm going nuts. Taking care of a 2 year-old, 8 month-old, and husband who is unable to do anything is completely exhausting. I'm taking things day by day because if I look ahead any more than that it seems too overwhelming. 


Despite the complete exhaustion, I am so blessed. I have so many friends (and family... Steven's brother is visiting for a few days) who are bringing us dinner, helping watch my girls, and just letting us know that they are thinking of us. And, I have my husband. Who will full recover from his injuries. He is still in quite a bit of pain, and that is hard for me to see, but things will get better.


There have been a few times in my life when I feel like my circumstances are more than I can handle. I have been thinking about the following quote a lot lately from Elder Jeffery R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve:


  When suffering, we may in fact be nearer to God than we have ever been in our entire lives. That knowledge can turn every such situation into a would-be temple. Regarding our earthly journey, the Lord has promised: I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up. [D&C 84:88]

That is an everlasting declaration of God’s love and care for us, including—and perhaps especially—in times of trouble. (Jeffrey R. Holland, Sept 7, 2008, CES Fireside).

I know that our family is growing and learning patience through this experience. We must have a lot to learn :)

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for the update. What a nightmare!! So scary. I can't imagine how painful that must've been. I hope they're able to sort everything out soon so he can heal as quickly as possible. Keep the updates coming! You are amazing, Paige! Superwoman, for sure.

Heather Curtis said...

You are awesome Paige! And surely you and Steven are in our prayers! Love you!

The Dave Foote Family said...

Paige, Thank you for the beautiful post. We are also sooo grateful that he is still your Steven. I had a very strong impression that my dad was there helping break his fall, maybe that is why he didn't hit his head. We love you all so much and wish we could be there to help you. Please know that you are in our prayers and we are fasting for all of you. Love, Chris and Dave/Mom and Dad

Lauren {MoneyHipMamas.com} said...

Thanks for the update. I'll be praying for you guys!

HolliJo said...

So sorry Paige. I'm so glad he's ok. Good luck through this trying time. We'll be praying for you!

Unknown said...

Receiving a phone call that your husband got into an accident is really terrifying. But there is still something to be thankful for despite the tragedy that befell that day: your husband surviving the accident and having a good friend to look after your kids while you were away. I just hope the driver who hit your husband had the decency to pay for all the damages he/she caused.

Allan @ BlottLaw.com