Sunday, July 3, 2011

Oh Canada!

As mentioned before, Steven and I are pretty frugal. From this post, you can see that we often go to extreme measures to save money. Except on clothes for Aubrey. Those cute dresses are a weakness of mine.

Anyways, we are now in Canada, enjoying my family and a much needed vacation. Lots of vacation fun ahead. But, getting here was quite the trek. The cheapest flights left from San Francisco not San Jose, but parking at the San Francisco airport was $13.50 per day. So, it would have been over $150 just to park our car. Seriously, we were not going for that.

So our trip from our little apartment in Santa Clara, California, to Calgary, Alberta went something like this:

9:30- drive to Caltrain station. Drop off me, Aubrey, and stuff at train.
9:45-10:10: Steven drives car back to our apartment and then runs the 2 miles to the train. Arrives on time but fairly sweaty.
10:20- Take the Caltrain into San Francisco
11:15-12:15: Feed Aubrey on dirty train bench, take 2 different BART trains, arrive at airport.
12:15-2:30: check in, security wakes up sleeping baby making unhappy mom, pay $22 for 2 sandwiches (arg!), hang out in airport because flight was delayed.
3:06-5:45: flight with very squirmy but happy baby (seriously, she was so good.)
5:45-7:30: get bags, drive to HOME!

It was such a long day, but our total train fare came to about $25 instead of $150. I LOVE saving money.

But, we were quite the spectacle. 2 large bags, 1 smaller bag, 1 backpack, 1 diaper bag, 1 car seat, and 1 baby. A lady on the train was taking pictures of us and laughing. We looked that ridiculous.
Oh Canada! Now we are here, and I can't wait to enjoy all the things that I miss about my glorious home.

2 comments:

J Fox said...

I know exactly what that's like. We are always to cheap to pay to check our bags so we end up trying to carry two kids, and like a zillion carry on bags through the airport! Fun stuff.

tagraves said...

Girlfriend... Next time you need a ride to the airport, or home from for that matter, call me!!! I have a huge truck and a 45 minute drive is not a big deal for me. Silly lady. Seriously, call me if you need a ride back from the airport.... Or if your hubby does. I know he's coming back sooner. That's what a ward family is for!