Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Aubrey is 2!

I really can't believe that my little girl is a full-blown two-year-old. Where does the time go?


Since Aubrey and her soon-to-be little sister have the same due date, it has been exciting but kind of emotional at the same time. Aubrey's birthday has been much anticipated... mostly because I am so excited for her, but also because I kept wondering if I would still be pregnant by now. I won't go into lots of pregnancy details, because this is about Aubrey, but yes, I am still pregnant!

Because I really had no idea what would be going on with the baby, I was nervous to plan a big party. So we had an "all about Aubrey" day instead. She definitely had a fantastic day. She kept saying, "Happy Birthday Aubrey!" It cracked me up.

She started the day by opening her presents. She loved playing with all her new toys. I have already bought a new toy storage system in anticipation of the onslaught between her birthday and Christmas.

Then we went to this huge (and I mean huge... think a few hundred kids running around) playgroup with a few of her little friends. I didn't take any pictures there because it is the kind of place where if you turn your back for a second you could lose your kid, but she absolutely loves going there. 

Then lunch at LinkedIn with daddy. "Shopping", "Inked In," and "friends" are frequently brought up as favorites. 

Naptime. So, the whole day wasn't all about Aubrey. This part was for me.

Play with toys and dinnertime! Homemade mac and cheese and fruit salad. I really tried to make something I knew she would love. She ate some, but really not much. Some days I wonder how she survives :)

Then, cake and ice cream. I made a hot pink rosette cake for my little girl that loves pink. She really liked trying to blow out the candles.

And... since we have no family around, we did a Google hangout so everybody could sing Aubrey Happy Birthday. I was thrilled because every family member on both sides was there to sing to her. So grateful for technology that can keep us close despite the miles.

More playtime, lots of stories and snuggles, and she is now fast asleep. Pretty fun day for a two-year-old! 

So, this is the part that is probably just for me to remember and the grandparents, but here is what Aubrey is up to at 2!

  • Knows most of her colors and a few shapes. She loves "pink, purple, and yellow." All the pictures she brings home from nursery are colored in these colors. Mostly pink though.
  • Clothing battles! Ugh. Mostly just sweater/coat battles. It is a good thing we live somewhere relatively warm, because getting her to put one of those on is such a hassle. She also has an opinion and likes to pick out the clothes that Steven and I wear. I think Steven is going on week #3 of purple ties at church.
  • Loves to sing. Can sing quite a few songs including almost all of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" by herself.
  • Still active as ever. I literally have to run to keep up with her. 
  • Definitely throws her share of temper tantrums, but I am finding her actually easier to deal with than the 18-month time period. Now that she can communicate and I can communicate to her, things are less frustrating.
  • Talks a lot. Like.... to herself, to her dolls, to us, and to anybody she is comfortable with. Sometimes is quiet around strangers, but she is saying new things everyday. 
  • Very friendly and social. LOVES her friends. Talks about them all the time. She plays really well with other kids, but can be kind of passive aggressive. We had a little friend over the other day and instead of just not sharing, she was hiding her favorite toys so he couldn't play with them. I couldn't help but laugh at that. 
  • Still my amazing little sleeper. Sometimes she doesn't like when the books and stories have to end at bedtime but she goes to sleep so quickly and sleeps all night without a peep. Do you think I can get this lucky twice?
  • I would say my most frustrating part of the day with Aubrey is getting from our third-floor apartment to the car. She runs away, demands to be carried, or just is plain slow. This is probably the main reason I just have to move when our contract is up in February. 
  • Loves babies, dolls, and anything girly.
There is so much more, but we just love our little Aubrey. She is such a joy!

2 comments:

pam said...

happy birthday aubrey! she is such a cutie. and that cake is amazing!
and congrats on staying pregnant, paige! gooood luck!

Lisa said...

Beautiful cake and fun idea to do a Google Hangout! So glad she had a good birthday. I'm sorry we didn't make it to the playgroup. I ended up having visiting teaching appointment. But now I'm hoping you stay pregnant until after break so we can hang out pre-baby!