Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas

We had a sweet, rewarding, and completely exhausting Christmas. Aubrey has been such a trooper through everything.  I don't think she really quite gets what is happening yet, but she is taking all the changes in stride.

While I was in labor with Cora but before my mom could get here from Canada (about 24 hours) Aubrey was passed around to 3 different friends who took care of her. She thought it was the greatest thing and was excited that she got to play with so many friends.

I'm also so grateful for what wonderful friends we have. So many people have helped and blessed our lives the past few days. Especially my mom who dropped everything and hopped on a plane right before Christmas (again). I do not know how we would survive right now without her!

In between hospital trips, we had a fun Christmas and delicious Christmas dinner.

I can't wait until we can get a picture with all 4 of us!

And... if Steven and I look completely exhausted, it is because we are :)

Some things NICU round two have been a lot easier. I know what all the machines and tubes and wires mean. I know what steps need to be taken to get little Cora home. I have already taught one preemie to nurse, and I understand how all that goes. The pumping every 2 to 3 hours around the clock is terrible, but I have also been there before.

But, a lot of things are way harder this time! I feel constantly torn. When I am with Cora, I worry about Aubrey feeling neglected. When I am at home, I can't stop thinking about Cora.

Right now we are going to the hospital about 3 times a day and spending about 2 hours there each time. We also live 20 minutes away. Then, we rush home to spend as much time with Aubrey as possible. 

Cora is strong and steady. She reminds me a lot of Steven so far. She is also doing so well for a 34 weeker. She is amazing me with how fast she is progressing. I'm sure there will be setbacks, but so far she is much stronger than Aubrey was (and look at what a spunky little girl Aubrey is now!)
Our little glow worm under the bilirubin lights.

 Sisters. Teaching Aubrey to be soft is going to be a process. 

The proud dad.

Christmas in the NICU is definitely not what I expected, but both my girls are doing well, so that is the best Christmas gift I could ask for.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Cora is so beautiful an precious! You are super woman as always. Stressful stuff, but as always you handle it beautifully. You're amazing!

Heather Curtis said...

Wow, wow, wow! Cora is absolutely adorable. I love the dark hair! And seriously that picture of Aubrey with Steven is fantastic. I can't believe she came so early again. So scary and so emotional! And to have all this craziness at Christmas time! Your mom is so awesome though. I'm glad she came to help. I miss you and I'm glad everything is going well for the most part. You are incredible and SO BEAUTIFUL! I couldn't believe the picture of you holding Cora (I LOVE that name) in the hospital- you look way too good to have just had a baby. I can't wait until I can visit your cute family of 4!