Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Priceless

 This little girl just keeps getting cuter everyday. Bigger too. She just had her 2 month check-up and weighed in at 9 lbs 10 oz. We are officially on the growth chart in the 11th percentile.

It is a good thing she is so darn cute, because she is one expensive baby...
(who me?)

I made this post a couple of years ago about all of Aubrey's NICU and hospital bills. Again, I won't share my views on how ridiculous health care in America is, but here is the final tally for little miss Cora:

My Hospital Bills (including epidural): $24,631

High-Risk Ultrasound Appointments: $4,321

Routine OB Care and Delivery: $6,676

Routine Lab Work and Tests: $1,300

P17 Shots & Syringes: $170

Neonatologist visits during NICU Stay: $6,200

Hearing Screening & Routine Newborn care: $800

And drumroll please.....

NICU hospital stay: $185,610!

FINAL AMOUNT: $229,708


Welcome to California....

Cora had a relatively uneventful 19 day NICU stay, and it was a week shorter than Aubrey's was in Utah. California is so expensive!

However... opening all of these hospital bills didn't give me a heart attack because we have awesome insurance through Steven's job. We had to pay a $250 copay for me and a $250 copay for Cora. Everything else was covered 100%. So grateful for insurance.

So, Aubrey was my $100,000 baby and Cora is my $200,000 baby. 

Both my kids are priceless and I am so grateful for modern medicine and hospitals that allow my little girls to get the start in life they need. 

However, the price tag sure is shocking!

5 comments:

Katie said...

Yikes! Delivering Greta in CO was $10000. Dunno what the OB visits, etc were but that was the total. And I know that because the hospital tried to stick us with it instead of doing their work and billing our insurance. It was an infuriating couple of months especially because Greta was a year and a half when the hospital tried to bill us. For real?

Glad your covered. That cost is a nice house in some states!

Brittany Anne said...

We had to pay $10000 for baby #1 and $3000 for baby #2.
I'm so glad you had amazing insurance. No wonder people go bankrupt over medical bills here. :(

Lisa said...

Woo-hoo for health insurance! And I just want to say you should feel 100% justified in keeping Cora under wraps because there is so much gross stuff out there! We have been sick for weeks. And even though we've been good about staying away from people (we haven't gone to church or hung out with anyone in forever)--not everyone is as courteous, or even knows they're sick yet. So you keep that cute baby safe and healthy!

LOCKHARTS said...

holy smokes! thank goodness you have insurance.
Cora is adorable and worth every penny! Can't wait to meet her!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

California is so expensive... it literally depresses me and I refuse to live here for that reason. How are we ever suppose to buy a house?

I totally understand your hospital bills. One of the nurses here at the hospital was in Antepardum for 10weeks and her hospital bill was over a million dollars and her baby wasn't even in NICU. But I will never complain about the prices because it is keeping my babies healthy and if you have good insurance then it makes everything so much better!!

Your two little ones are so very cute! I love Cora's dark hair!! So pretty! I am so glad to hear and see your babies doing so well. How early did both of them come?