Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Milk?


Since Aubrey spent the first three weeks of her life being fed by gavage (tube-fed), I could not nurse her right away. I was still pretty determined to nurse her, but it took a lot of patience and a lot of pumping to get to that point. Which, right now is working great.

I kept bringing my pumped milk into the NICU, the nurses kept putting it into a fridge, and I never saw it again. Much to my surprise, when they discharged Aubrey, not only did I get to bring home an adorable little girl, but a huge bag of pumped milk. I have only added quite a bit to my "stash" since then.

In order to gain extra weight and get extra vitamins she needs, I have been mostly nursing, but twice a day I pump and give her a bottle with extra fortifier/vitamins in the bottle. My plan was to rotate through my milk supply, and so I always would have some on hand, and then use it up when I wean her.

Some plan!

Aubrey will NOT take any of the frozen milk. At all. She cries and pushes the bottle away. I even tried mixing in just a little bit of frozen. Nothing. So.... all that milk is basically useless. And a lot of it is about to go past the recommend date for freezer storage.

I haven't had the heart to throw it away yet. So I took it out today, and at least took a picture. It represents a lot of tired nights and a lot of work. I counted and it is currently at 254 ounces. Yikes.

I figure that most of my friends are also moms, so I am asking for help. Any suggestions? Is it all a complete waste?

9 comments:

pam said...

sell it on ebay!
haha i've heard that some really crazy fitness people pay big bucks for breast milk.. gross, huh?
i had to throw sooo much out too. i totally know what you're feeling!

my name is becky kelly said...

I fed one of my babies breast milk from my friend's similar situation! despite my efforts, i can't nurse very long, so i was SO thankful to my good friend for sharing her motherly vitamins with my child! (and, i KNOW she eats healthier than me!) some people might think that's gross or weird, but it's cheaper and healthier than formula! my vote is, don't chuck it!

Lisa said...

I'm in a similar boat. I pumped a ton of milk back at the beginning while I was still on dairy before I realized it makes him sick. So, useless to me. I thought about donating it to a milk bank, but I take Prilosec for heartburn and I'm pretty sure you can't be on any medications. I haven't had the heart to throw it away yet just in case of an emergency, it's better than nothing. But congrats on being so productive. :)

Jenny said...

I would look into the milk bank, I know NICUs use banked milk, or see if another mom wants it. I would think that would be a hot commodity.

Shannon said...

There is a milk bank in Salt Lake. I'll bet there's something near where you are. That's too much effort to waste!

LOCKHARTS said...

Paige, this happened to me with Jack! I had about as much as you. My friend couldn't nurse so I gave it to her and it fed her 6-month-old for a week! I would just ask your friends. It really isn't that wierd.

Rachel said...

Actually you can use it to mix with the cereal when she starts around 6 months of age! maybe some will have to be discarded, but you can use the newer and it should last 3 months in a normal freezer or 6 months in a deep freeze.

Leta-Kaye said...

That is a LOT of work! Way to go, Mama! I'm glad she's now a good little nurser.

I've heard of a recipe for Breastmilk Bread. I'm still not sure if I think that is really gross, or really cool. Probably nutritious, though.

What are the regulations for donating milk?

Wendy said...

Save it to use in her cereal. My babies ate cereal a lot better with my milk than with just water. I love your blog and I am so glad that you are doing so well. Miss you at HCS.

Wendy