Wednesday, April 13, 2011

So far so fast....

My little girl is sleeping peacefully, and I spent the past 10 minutes just watching her sleep. I never get tired of looking at her.

Now that Aubrey is doing so well, I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about her birth and how far she has already come. Here is the last pregnancy photo I ever took. Aubrey was born just a few days later. At the time, I had no idea what was about to happen:
 Here is how my little girl looked the very first time that I met her. Right after she was born, they took her straight to the NICU and I didn't get to see her for a couple of hours until after I got out of recovery. Steven still laughs because I convinced the nurse that I was just fine and walked myself up to the NICU just a couple of hours after giving birth.

And, here is Aubrey now- completely healthy and completely thriving:
When she was in the NICU, I was pretty strong. I only had a few breakdowns, and I did what I needed to do to take her home. I was pretty much on autopilot. Looking back, some of the stuff she went through was pretty scary. The nurses even told me that she was a candidate for failure to thrive because she struggled so much with weight gain in the NICU. So now, when I look at her chubby cheeks, I am just so grateful.

As hard as the whole experience was for me, I feel like it has made me appreciate motherhood so much more. It was harder for Steven and I to get pregnant with Aubrey than I would have liked and it was harder for her to come into this world than I would have liked.

But, I don't really take anything for granted- not even the little things like how she can eat and breathe. Because I remember when she struggled to eat and struggled to breathe.

I will admit that at times I still feel guilty. I think that motherhood always comes with some guilt because you always want to make sure you are doing your best for your baby. But, I think that having a premature baby adds extra guilt. I know deep down that it wasn't my fault... but I still think- "did I not gain enough weight?" "Was I too busy/stressed at work?" "Was it my fault that she has already had to go through so much?"

I'm also scared for future children. They did a pathology report on my placenta, and basically it showed that my placenta had aged. And, the OB said that I have a small uterus. So, the chances of having another baby premature are higher than I would like. But, I try not to dwell on that fact. I wonder if I will ever get to go to the hospital excited to give birth, not terrified because I know it is just too early.

However, for now I'll just hug my little girl and be so grateful that she is ours and that she is doing so well.

She is such a sweet, good baby. I feel like I must have had to earn the privilege of being her mom, and that is why we had to go through so much. And I am thankful every day that she is mine. I love being her mom more than anything.

6 comments:

HeilFam said...

Love it! I sure hope you are all doing well. Your little angel is darling! Hope you're all doing well in San Jose...but we sure do miss you!

Jeremy, Lana, Brenna ,Mason, Owen and Sadie said...

You are the best Paige, I love you. Aubrey is beautiful, and I love seeing pictures of her! And you too!

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

This was a good post... brings us back to your reality. I couldn't ever imagine all the emotions around her. I bet it was very scary!!! As far as guilt goes, I thought I was the only one. But I have heard more and more from my friends that guilt just comes with motherhood. It is so true, I think we want to take responsibility for every single thing because of all the sacrifice that we have to make. We are willing to make the sacrifice but we would be willing to do more if it meant that our children would be healthy and happy. I have never heard about a placenta aging. If it makes you feel any better my doctor told me I have a very small uterus and Z was born 39w4d he was very small, and we had to supplement with formula because he was so skinning. So hopefully that will be the case next time!!! Just let me know when you guys get pregnant again so I can keep you in my prayers!!! Aubrey is so cute and she is doing so so so well! I hope you can take pride in all that. You are doing a good job!

The Dave Foote Family said...

aPaige,
This was such a sweet post it made me cry. I love that you love being a mom and you are a great one. Aubrey is such a sweetheart and we are all so glad she is here and healthy and happy. We can't wait until we can see you guys and hold her again. Only one more week! :)
Love you tons!

Deborah said...

Your post was beautiful. I am always amazed at how strong you and Steven are. Your little family sure has gone through alot and I am so glad that it is behind you. I love that you are so happy to be a mom and that nothing is more important to you, you really do deserve such a sweet little girl. I can't wait to see you soon for Aubrey's blessing and spend some time with you all, and like the Foote's I can't wait to hold Aubrey again :-) Love you all so much!

Heather Curtis said...

You Paige are simply amazing! Being a perfectionist and a mother certainly cannot be easy because those things don't exactly mix. But at the same time, when you are loving your child so much that it hurts and are feeling guilt because you want nothing more than your child to be raised healthy and happy spiritually and physically in every way possible- that IS a perfect mom. And you meet those requirements 100%. You inspire me. I miss you and I wish I was coming to Aubrey's blessing like your family.