Wednesday, February 2, 2011

California Here We Come....

Aubrey and I are now finally in California and we are all together as a family for good. Aubrey was discharged from the NICU on January 12th but since the insurance for my job went through the end of January and the insurance from Steven's job started February 1st, we stayed in Utah until the end of the month.

My mom (who has stayed to help me this whole time since Steven was gone), and I started the normally 13-hour-drive at 5 am on Sunday. The plan was to make it to Reno and then drive the rest of the way on Monday, but my mom and I are both kind of the "get it done" type, and so we ended up driving the entire way in one day- with a newborn who had to eat every couple of hours and get out of her car seat every hour and a half because we had to watch her oxygen levels.

The 13-hour trip turned into an 18-hour trip and we pulled up at our apartment at 11 that night.

Aubrey was seriously the BEST baby all day. She hardly cried and the drive with her was better than I thought.

However, by the end of the trip, I was covered in poop, pee, spit up, infant vitamins, and a cup of sprite. I sure looked and smelled good when Steven first saw us.

Now, we have been working like mad to get our apartment all organized and decorated. I love to unpack so it has been fun. Pictures to come later.

Aubrey is doing great and I feel so blessed and relieved that she is now healthy. She looks healthy and from her last three doctors appointments, she is gaining about an ounce a day, which is about half a pound a week. She now weighs about 7 pounds...... which is "almost" on the growth charts. Almost. We are getting there.

She is a funny baby. She is very alert and is already starting to coo, holds her head up pretty well, and grunts like a man. I am getting good at doing everything one handed (currently burping her and typing) and I am surviving pretty well on little sleep.





And, one thing that I am loving about our new home is definitely the weather. It is freezing back in Utah, and I just got back from a nice, sunny walk. I think I can get used to this.

5 comments:

matt and steph said...

She honestly is adorable! (and I can't say that for a lot of little babies)! I am so glad that you are with Steven! Is your mom still there? I am sure it was hard (or going to be hard) for her to go... at least it was for me :)

Jenny said...

What a happy reunion that must have been! Aubrey is precious. So precious.

Robert & Amber Salmon said...

Aubrey is so stink'n cute! And her little outfits/attire are darling. I am jealous you are in warm weather! I just moved to WA where it is not as cold as Utah, but the playgrounds are always wet... so we stay indoors.

Shannon said...

I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering when you'd be able to go to CA. SO glad the trip went well and you can all be together again. That's the way families are supposed to be!

Lisa said...

She's so cute! I can't wait to see both of you!