Friday, February 18, 2011

Where there is smoke...

Luckily, there is no fire.....

Steven has been gone all week working in Orange County and he gets back tonight. Now that my mom is gone, I have just been here alone with Aubrey for the past couple of days. This afternoon, I had just put Aubrey down for a nap when the fire alarm in our apartment complex went off.

I opened the door to see if it was just a false alarm, when I saw everybody evacuating and I smelled smoke. I will admit that I was pretty shaken and scared, probably even more than was warranted because just this past summer, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law (Jer & Ked) had their 3rd floor apartment burn down just two weeks after they moved in. They lost almost everything, and so I know how scary apartment fires can be. 

It felt pretty similar to when we rushed to the hospital when my water broke. Except instead of grabbing my purse and a towel, I grabbed Aubrey and my diaper bag.

I put her car seat in the stroller and realized when I got to the end of the hall, that because it was a fire, I couldn't use the elevator. So, I had to carry Aubrey and the stroller (with Aubrey in the stroller) down three flights of stairs. My workout for the day  :)

The fire department was there and since it was pouring rain, I put Aubrey in the car and drove down the street to wait and see. Luckily, in the end, it was just a kitchen fire that was mostly smoke. It was scary, especially being all alone here, but I'm grateful that everything is fine.

Sometimes I seriously feel like the past few months of my life could be the setting of a dramatic movie. Can we go back to normal now?

2 comments:

Lisa said...

So scary! So glad everyone's alright. By the way, I went to a breastfeeding class the other day and they talked about how stress can affect your milk supply. The lactation consultant recommended not making any major life changes (e.g. moving, etc) right after having a baby. I definitely thought of you. You've had QUITE a few changes/drama. So impressed you've held up so well! You're amazing! Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Lauren {MoneyHipMamas.com} said...

Yikes! So glad you all were okay. Aaron and I got renter's insurance just because of your in-laws story last year!